Dietary tips for mental health can help to improve the functioning of our gut, reduce stress, and thereby improve mental health. Studies have shown that poor mental health is linked with poor diet quality regardless of gender, age, education, marital status, and income level. Remember these 5 important dietary tips for better mental health.
- Avoid and restrict consumption of sugar and a high amount of processed grains and fats in the diet, as these have been linked with depression, bipolar disorders, and poor mental health.
- Include foods containing vitamins linked to reducing stress and optimal mental health like Vitamin D (egg yolks, fish, fortified cereals, milk, and cheese), Vitamin C (Citrus fruits), Folic acid (Green vegetables) and Vitamin B12 (meats, chicken, almonds, milk, yogurt).
- Minerals, like Iron, Zinc, and Magnesium have also shown benefits so eat such foods regularly (Spinach, Broccoli, Legumes, seeds, nuts, whole grains)
- Omega 3 fatty acid foods like fish or flaxseed and walnuts in your diet can also add benefits in combating mental stress.
- At least 8-10 glasses of water (2 to 2.5 liters/day), timely meals and avoiding skipping meals is important for mental health.
Test for levels of Iron, Vitamin D, and B12 if suffering from low moods, fatigue, and stress.
Further reading –