Diet tips for arthritis is based on two principles. The first being reducing inflammation, and the second being reducing or maintaining optimal weight (as increasing weight puts more pressure and wear-tear on the lower limb joints and back, commonly affected by osteoarthritis and spondylitis respectively).
The following 10 diet tips can help to adapt the right diet for arthritis, and reduce flares and severity of arthritic symptoms, and can complement medicines being taken-
- Include abundant fruits in the daily diet (especially berries and grapes)
- Diet should be rich in green vegetables (especially beans, broccoli, and spinach)
- Include regular intake of yogurts (preferably low fat)
- Sources of omega 3 fats (fish, fish oils, canola oil, walnuts, flaxseeds) must be part of at least one daily meal or snack.
- Olive oil is a good choice for cooking
- Use whole grain items (bread/flour for chapati)
- Garnish food with good amounts of ginger, garlic, and turmeric.
- Salt intake should be kept to around 6g/day (1 teaspoon/person/day) as salt can increase joint swelling and also trigger a flare of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Restrict and avoid fried foods, fast and processed food, and high sugar foods.
- Make sure to have at least 2 liters of daily water intake
Arthritis – Awareness of the causes, types and health impact
I couldn’t resist commenting. Very well written!
Thank you for these tips! I had no idea diet could have such an impact on arthritis pain. This article shares more helpful information for managing osteoarthritis:
I appreciate that you explained that green vegetables like broccoli are necessary for the diet. Thanks to this instructive article,
Excellent way of explaining, and fastidious post to take information about my presentation subject matter, which i am going to convey in my academy.
I must say you’ve been a big help to me. Thanks!