Fever is usually caused by a viral infection and can be treated with home remedies like rest, soft nutritious diet, good hydration and paracetamol medication. The indicators below should alert one to seek medical opinion immediately.
- High-grade fever with chills or sweats
- Severe weakness, inability or difficulty in fluid/food intake
- Severe headache, pain in/below/behind the eyes, ear pain, or neck stiffness
- Nausea, vomiting or abdominal pain
- Joint pains, swelling or stiffness
- Breathlessness, chest pain, wheezing or wet cough with phlegm
- Rashes or bleeding spots on the body or nose bleeds
- Reduced urination, or cold extremities
- Neurological signs – Confusion, loss of orientation, delirium, or convulsions
- Fever beyond five days or returning after a few days of being absent
High-risk patient group– (have more chances of complications).
- Children below 2 years of age,
- Pregnant women
- Elderly>70 years
- Those suffering from diabetes, or conditions affecting liver, lungs, heart or kidney.
- Immune-suppressive conditions, medicines or treatments
Note – Fever with sore throat, cough, and breathlessness may be due to Coronavirus (COVID-19 Pandemic)
Read about common causes of fever, with recommended precautions and care-